Def: Wanderlust (ˈwändərˌləst) Noun. 1) A strong desire to travel. 2) A longing for or impulse toward wandering.
I used to be scared of everything. I grew up in a West Texas town and my family did not travel very often. I only knew things about the world, when I was younger by the shows I watched on the television. I lived somewhat of a sheltered life.
Then, I found traveling. The first time I left the country I was surprised to find out people are exactly the same way everywhere. More importantly, when I traveled, I was met with kindness, hospitality and loads of new information. I didn’t start traveling until my early 30’s, and there are times I still kick myself for not starting earlier.
I have learned some pretty valuable lessons moving across parts of the globe. These are just a few key things my travels around the world have taught me:
1) Perspective is everything!
2) Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder!
3) Seeing anything for the first time is intoxicating and expanding!
4) We are more alike than different.
5) Be curious about everything on your trips.
6) People love telling you the history of their lives and their communities, pull up a chair and listen.
7) Traveling is transformative. The world is big, but the more you see of it the smaller it gets.
8) You don’t have to travel far or be rich to travel.
9) Traveling is like anything else, you curate it to fit your mood, budget, needs, and interests. There’s no right way to travel.
10) We grow when we see the way other cultures live and operate.
You don't have to be rich to see world! You just have to have a good plan to save, the will to organize and a sense of wonderment for the world around you. Something as simple as getting in your car and driving 2 hours to see something new, is enough to light the wanderlust fire in your belly! Go meet new people, go to that town you keep saying you're going to see, visit your friends that have moved a plane, train or car ride away! Plan that trip to your bucket list city! Anything!
We all work very hard in our lives. We deserve tiny and big breaks sometimes. There are many ways to take care of ourselves and restore ourselves. Maybe traveling is yours? You never know until you try.
Find some time to investigate and ignite curiosity within you through travel. It is something that you will never regret and will change your DNA forever.
Love + Light
Photo Credit: Me - First morning in Ubud, Bali, Indonesia 2015